The last week has been full of mishaps and events and circumstances that would make any normal rational person feel a little upset, however, I have not been as happy as I am right now in a long long time! Although I was on the brink of tears at least twice in the last five days, I never actually allowing the dams to break; rather I released the emotional energy through laughter. By laughing about my misfortunes rather than crying about them, it forced me to look on the bright side and realize all the things that actually go right in my life.
First of all, I have an amazing family who love me and take care of me. My Dad's thoughts after I told him of some of my special surprises this week was this, "Well, Sarah, education is expensive!! Chuckle chuckle chuckle!!!" They give me solutions to my problems, teach me gospel principles and they give me the good pick me up that I need to laugh at my troubles instead of lament over them! My sister, who was probably inspired, called me and wanted to take me out to lunch and go shopping! I got to spend some quality time with her and her daughters, which was so fun and made me appreciate, even more than I had before, how much I love her and how glad I am to have her nearby.
Secondly, I have the best roommates I could asked for. When my plane was late, one roommate waited over an hour for me at the airport. When I was car-less, she let me drive her car to work for two days. When I locked my keys in my car (which was also stuck in the snow at the time) another roommate helped find a locksmith and helped me get my car out of the foot of packy whiteness. Finally, last night, the two of them put together the best birthday party I could have asked for!
Thirdly, I have spectacular friends. The theme for the party my roommate organized was an ode to me. Many of them prepared an ode about me, others simply shared some funny or memorable experiences! As lame as this might sound, it really meant a lot to me. I already knew that my friends cared about me to some degree, but hearing it straight from their mouths and hearing some of the things they appreciate most about me was interesting and inspired me to want to live up to their praise a little better! They also made me laugh and reminisce on some funny experiences we've had together.
Fourthly, I have never in my life been so grateful for not getting into an accident, or not finding my car towed after leaving it parked somewhere, or having a TWENTY FOUR HOURS without any other unexpected and expensive incident to deal with. I haven't had a speeding ticket, a car bomb, a zombie proofing or even so much as an angry parent (parents of my students of course. I can't imagine my Mom and Dad being mad at me!) I don't think I have been as grateful as I am right now to Heavenly Father for all of the blessings he does grant me. I'm not sick, only my ankle is injured! I have a clear and alert mind, and I have the gospel and the gift of the Holy Ghost to guide me and give me peace when it can be otherwise difficult to find.
The bottom line (or paragraphs, I suppose) is that regardless of what the world throws at you, and not matter what your gut reaction is and no matter how people expect you to react because "it's only natural," we still have a choice about how we respond. I'm not saying that everyone should laugh it off (I see the value in having a good cry once in a while), but we do choose how we handle the curve ball that life throws us. We can see the light instead of the darkness, and focus on the good rather than the bad, and be grateful for all the things the Lord does for us, rather than the things he doesn't do for us. This is how we find happiness. Happiness doesn't mean your life is perfect, it just means you turn to the right source to find it every single day!
3 comments:
You are inspirational!
That's true, Sarah... you DO have high expectations from us. =) And don't worry, I hear the zombie proofings are on their way!
Oh Sarah I just love you!!! You are an inspiration to me!! I feel you and you have such a good attitude. If being in Ecuador has taught me one of many lessons it is that we are extremely blessed for the less than ideal lives we sometimes feel we may lead. Extremely blessed!!
Post a Comment