Sunday, February 1, 2009

That's a Big Mac for a little girl!

When I was fourteen, I attended my very first youth conference. During the conference, some youth from my ward went to a McDondald's to get something to eat. Keep in mind that I'm small now, but I was even shorter and rather scrawny as a fourteen year old. As I sat down at the table, one of the girls in my ward said, "That's a Big Mac for such a little girl." For some reason that I haven't been able to put my finger on, I have never forgotten that comment. Perhaps it is because I am a "Big" lot of things for such a little girl.
I have Big Energy for such a little girl. I often shock people with my enthusiasm and energy level for being such a short little girl. I never thought I was an intimidating sort of person, but apparently I can be intimidating because of my high energy level and enthusiasm for anything that is important to me!
I have a Big Voice for such a little girl. Let's face it, I'm loud! I often catch people off guard who don't know me; even if they do know about the higher than average amplitude of my voice, that amplitude is only bound to increase as I get excited about something!
I also have Big Tenacity for such a little girl. Once I have really set my mind to something, I will stop at nothing to make it happen. I have never even so much as dropped a class, I have never quit a job unless I was moving or already had another, better, higher paying job. I have been know to call and call and leave messages and become my visiting teachees stalkers, and finally write a nice note with some cookies and leave it on their doorstep! I won't give up on teaching middle schoolers, even though sometimes it's soooo hard to keep going, and I feel like I'm "Destroying America, one Middle Schooler at a time!".
I also have Big Teeth for such a little girl. I remember when I was about 12, I was visiting some Taylor relatives, and my older brother Joe, who is about a foot taller than me met us there. He looked at me, gave me a big hug and said, "Sarah, your teeth are huge." We then went to the bathroom mirror to compare teeth sizes and we determined that my teeth were, in fact, bigger than his.
I'm a Big Age for such a little girl. I have been mistaken as a middle schooler on several occasions. On a good day, I can pass for 18. When I was a senior in Hgh School, someone thought I was in 7th grade. When I was in college I was mistaken for being in High School a few times. As it turns out, I'm quite a bit older than 18, and I often surprise people when I inform them of my age!
Don't get me wrong, I don't think any of these things are bad, I just find it interesting how much I have been known to surprise people with my energy, loudness, tenacity, or age simply because I'm short! I kind of get a kick out of it! I like surprises! I like to surprise people! I like to be unpredictable (even though I am fairly predictable, I think, to people that know me really well!).
Happy February!!!

3 comments:

Rochelle said...

Precious things come in small packages! Of course so does dynamite! I'm glad you're the way you are Sarah!

Blake said...

Big teeth eh? So THAT explains the amazing smile! ;)

The Doig family said...

Big heart, that's what I notice. Do you have a big head? I mention it only because Austin does, and he always says, "Big Head Means Big Brains!" Wouldn't have you any other way than the way you are. And by the way, visiting teacher, its a new month!