Thursday, February 19, 2009
The Ant Hill!
When I was a little girl, I used to sit on the sidewalk for hours and hours poking at ant hill and watching the ants scramble out of the broken remains of their home. Maybe that makes me a little sadistic, but I used to love watching the chaos and madness. Keep in mind that I did that a long time ago, and I wasn't a biologist, although it may have helped me predict my future course of study and lack of interest in the actual organisms. I was reminded of my past biological devastation the other day during my prep period. I was walking down the hall as the bell rang, and all of the sudden hundreds of middle schoolers of every shape and size came pouring out of all the classrooms down the hall! They were all rushing around with a purpose; some were trying to talk to that cute boy, others were herding around with their group of friends, insisting on hugging every student in sight. Some were rushing off to be the first in line for lunch, while others were deliberately walking as slowly as possible in order to be tardy for thrid period. Either way, they all tried to avoid making any sort of eye contact with me, regardless of whether they knew me and liked me as a teacher, hated me, or didn't know me. I was an invisible observer, just like I was as a small girl, watching the ants scatter out of their crumbled hole! It turns out that things haven't changed so much!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
I remember doing that too... =) Good times. Maybe in the summer we should destroy some ant hills then build an ice block sled! =D
You bet! We could name the dead ants after Dave again!!! I'm sure he would be honoured!
I guess when you come to the Bryners, you feel the oppposite of the ant hill girl, and yet you feel like her still at the same time. The boys try to make contact with you for half a second, then dash off away as fast as you can!
Post a Comment